Wooot! Wooooot! CicLAvia is going to be off the hook this Sunday April 15th 2012 from 10am to 3pm! Map and event basic info here.
There's so much going on that we can hardly keep track of it all! Here's a quick guide to some selected highlights - but, first a suggestion: Be spontaneous! If you're in a big rush to catch the marimbas or the Power Rangers, then you might be missing out on what's going on right around you. Enjoy the exploration - and see what you come across. Slow down and enjoy whatever you come across!
Some great stuff for families: (Remember: the whole route is open to all ages!)
> The Power Rangers will be appearing at MacArthur Park from 10am to 3pm! Come get your picture taken with a Ranger!
- The "Family and Baby Brigade" is inviting moms and dads with babies and young toddlers to meet up under the Sister Cities signs at First and Main (next to City Hall) around 10am (and continuing throuhg the day.) There will be a baby changing area, grassy picnic area - meet and walk/bike/stroller together along the route!
- The REI Adventure Zone at Hollenbeck Park features a climbing wall, photo booth and more!
More all ages fun:
- the 9-piece Marimba orchestra Massanga Marimba will play approximately 11am to 1pm at the new Toriumi Plaza in Little Tokyo - at the corner of First and San Pedro/Aiso.
- Lots of photo boooooths to chooooose from: in addition to Power Rangers at MacArthur Park and REI at Hollenbeck - look for: Ben Miller Photography will be taking bike portraits (bicyclist included, por supuesto!) along MacArthur Park. CicLAvia perennial SnapYourself! mobile booth will on Sping Street between 7th and 9th.
- There's so much great architecture along the route. Get your hands on CicLAvia's new Architecture guide and explore!
- Many awesome volunteer groups from the Ovarian Psycos (all-women ridazz) to the Orange County Bicycle Coalition are adopting intersections. You'll find DJs, activities, giveaways and more at crossing-point intersections. Just a few highlights: L.A. Walks invites you to double-Dutch jump-rope at 7th and Broadway. The Nature Conservancy will be raffling off a pair of bikes - find them at 7th and Figueroa. More adopt-an-intersection info here!
- Solar DJs the Sycons will be back - dance to their infectious grooves on the 7th Street Bridge over the 110 Freeway! More DJs and live music at the African American Firefighter Museum hub! More DJs at adopted intersections
- Restaurants and stores along the route are offering CicLAvia specials - look for signs: Antojitos Bibi - yummy Honduran food, on 7th across from MacArthur Park at Park View - has their Cicladay $5 specials! Say "SproLaVia" at Dimatasse Coffee Shop - on San Pedro, just south of 1st in Little Tokyo - for a 15% discount!
Explore and enjoy!