Week of February 11: Explore LA. There’s something fun and free this week for all ages and interests and abilities. Whether you’re looking to volunteer, learn a new language, take an art class, work up a sweat, or just stroll with friends at a leisurely pace, you will likely find a free community happening for you on this list.
- The Junipero Serra Branch Library is hosting the free LACMA Art Class at 4pm. You’re encouraged to bring your “whole family to learn about art and create your very own masterpieces with an artist from the Los Angeles County Museum of Art!”
- It’s never a too late or too early to explore a new language. The Lincoln Heights Branch Library is hosting a free Mandarin Chinese class for both adults and school aged children at 4pm. The class focuses on oral Mandarin Chinese (Pu Tong Hua) and simplified characters. This is an entry level class for beginners. No prior Chinese language exposure is expected -- meaning, it’s totally okay (and great) if you learn your first Mandarin Chinese words at this class!
February 12 & 13
- Join Operation Firefly with the Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition (LACBC). Lend a helping hand along with LACBC staff and volunteers as they hand out bike lights to those who don’t have them. They’ll be in Hollywood at the Hollywood / Western Metro Station from 4:30-7 pm on Tuesday, February 12. RSVP here.
- They will also be set up in Cudahy at the intersection of Atlantic Ave. and Clara St. from 4:30 pm - 7 pm on Wednesday, February 13. RSVP here.
- Take walk around the Griffith Observatory for their monthly Sunset Walk & Talk from 5:25 - 6:25 pm. A Park Ranger and Museum guide will lead the approximately half-mile moderate-pace walk. You can beat traffic to the Observatory by walking up, of course, or you can take the free DASH Observatory bus.
- The Hyde Park Miriam Matthews Branch Library is hosting a fun, all-abilities dance workout for 55 + adults. Move to R & B to maintain muscle, develop strength, and build community for older adults. Caregivers and family members of all ages are welcome to participate in support of older dancers. https://www.lapl.org/whats-on/events/movin-groovin
- Want to try out yoga? The Westchester and Playa Vista Branch Library invite community members of all ages for a free yoga, meditation, food, and music event from 1-4 pm. There will be a free yoga class offered by LMU at 1:30 pm. (Bring your own mat or use one of ours.) Guided Meditation will be at 3 pm. There will be mandala stone painting, a live DJ, and food in the courtyard throughout the event. Finally, everyone is invited to walk our labyrinth made entirely from books which will be located in the Teen Room. Sounds fun!
- Grab some friends and stroll through Artists & Fleas LA in Venice, a vibrant, artistic community that gathers every Saturday to offer a line-up of art, design, food and vintage merchants. You’ll find them at the corner of Westminster Avenue Elementary School at the corner of Abbot Kinney and Westminster Avenue from 11 am - 4:30 pm.
- Find a new favorite food, or just indulge in some old favorites, at Smorgasburg from 10 am - 4 pm, held weekly in DTLA.