CicLAvia - The Valley
CicLAvia will make the San Fernando Valley its home on March 22 when Metro Presents CicLAvia – The Valley takes place from 9am–4pm. The first CicLAvia of 2015 represents the inaugural visit of LA’s renowned open streets event to the Valley. Participants will be able to travel between North Hollywood and Studio City on car-free streets, using foot, pedal and non-motorized wheel power.
Metro Presents CicLAvia – The Valley runs 5.5 miles along Lankershim Boulevard between the North Hollywood Metro Red Line stop at Chandler Boulevard and the Universal Studio Red Line stop, and along Ventura Boulevard between Campo de Cahuenga and Coldwater Canyon. The route will highlight some of the gems of the East Valley including the North Hollywood Arts District, Universal City, the historic Campo de Cahuenga, Studio City Farmers Market and the famed Sportsmen’s Lodge.
The Valley route is made possible with a grant from Metro Los Angeles.
New to CicLAvia? Here are four things you need to know for March 22:
- It's FREE!
- It's not a race and you don't need a bike to participate. You can walk or skate to your heart's content.
- There's no beginning or end. You can start anywhere and go as far or as short as you want.
- The flow of participants goes both ways, just like regular traffic.
Activities Along the Route
The following activities will take place along the CicLAvia - The Valley route, starting at the western portion of the route. Please note that all hubs will offer CicLAvia information and merchandise, bike parking and bike repair, free water, restrooms and first aid stations. You can also download the activities flyer via the button below.
COLDWATER CANYON HUB
Food Trucks: Cambalache’s Gourmet / Farmer’s Belly / King Kone / Kogi BBQ / Yalla
NEAR THE HUB:
Enjoy strolling entertainers along Ventura Boulevard from Carpenter Avenue to Coldwater Canyon Avenue programmed by the Studio City BID.
STUDIO CITY FARMERS MARKET HUB
Free Bike Valet
Buy locally grown produce, baked goods, artisan foods and crafts and enjoy family-friendly activities (face painting, pony rides, jumpers and more) at the Studio City Farmers Market from 8am-4pm on Ventura Place.
NEAR THE HUB:
Free Bike Valet by the Studio City BID at 12225 Ventura Blvd. from 9am-4pm.
Take a stroll on the Radford Art Walk (on Radford Avenue between Valleyheart Drive and Moorpark Street).
River non-profits and Mayor Eric Garcetti's LARiverWorks bring you CiclaRIO @ the riverfront. Come to the intersection of Laurelgrove Avenue and the LA River for a variety of activities, including a scavenger hunt:
- 10am and 11 am: Nature walks
- 12pm: Jazz performance
- 1pm – 4pm: LA River sensorial soundscape installation
- 2pm: Literary reading in/on motion and group poetry writing workshop
- 3:30pm: Announcement of scavenger hunt winner
UNIVERSAL CITY HUB
REI Zone featuring a rock wall, shaded sitting area and a photo booth.
Add your creativity to a collective painting on the Mobile Mural Lab.
Complete the kids bike safety skills course and get a free kid’s bike helmet (while supplies last).
City Trees is giving away Free Trees! If you are a resident of the City of Los Angeles, you are eligible to adopt a tree and plant it in your yard. You must bring proof of residence (photo ID with an LA City address or a DWP bill) to the event. Supplies are limited and will be distributed on a first come, first served basis. Limit one tree per property address.
River non-profits and Mayor Eric Garcetti's LARiverWorks host CiclaRIO @ the hub, an immersive LA River experience in the city.
- LARiverWorks showcases a gallery of LA River built projects and hosts participatory river mapping fun.
- Experience and learn about the LA River’s past, present, and potential future, inside FoLAR’s roving museum, the LA River Rover and make seedbombs from native plants.
- Join the LA River Corp at their pop-up river parklet to enter the CiclaRIO scavenger hunt between 10am and 2pm. Deal a hand of Go Fish and Play the LA River while you’re there.
NEAR THE HUB:
The historic Campo de Cahuenga’s museum and gardens will be open for self-guided tours and will also host programming throughout the day
Food Trucks: Deli Doctor / Mandoline Grill / No Jodas / Slammin’ Sliders / The Surfer Taco / Vchos / Waffles de Liege / Zugo Liquitarian
NORTH HOLLYWOOD ARTS DISTRICT HUB
Food Trucks: Fluff Ice / Mambo Juice
NEAR THE HUB:
Once an alley, NoHo Plaza has been repurposed as a public plaza space with tables, chairs, and umbrellas for people to enjoy. Los Angeles City Councilmember Paul Krekorian hosts music and activities at the plaza all day, including a photo booth and an art station for kids and adults.
The Chandler Cycletrack is a one-day 'Pop-Up' protected bicycle lane demonstration of the City's draft Mobility Plan 2035 vision for permanent low stress bicycle facilities. Roll through on Chandler Boulevard between Fair Avenue and Vineland Avenue on your way to the hub.
Laemmle Theatre is having a social media live stream at their theater located at 5240 Lankershim. The screen will showcase people using the #LaemmleVia hashtag. They will have a table with water for people to refill their bottles. People can also get free popcorn to munch while watching the images. Laemmle also put together a soundtrack that will feature an eclectic mix (Valley Becomes Eclectic) of songs from and about the San Fernando Valley.
Like the rest of the city of Los Angeles, the nearly 145,000-acre San Fernando Valley has been chronically misunderstood and underappreciated. CicLAvia aims to shake up perceptions of The Valley with our March 22 route.
Our neighborhood guide, written by Andrea Richards and designed by Colleen Corcoran, examines the past, glimpses at the present and lays down a vision of the future for one of the most dynamically evolving areas of Los Angeles County.
The guide will be available at all of our hubs at CicLAvia. But if you can’t wait, go ahead and take a look at the guide now.
Click the image to go to a PDF download:
Walk With Me
CicLAvia has partnered with the City of Los Angeles Department of Cultural Affairs and Dutch Culture to commission a sonic “walkscape” for pedestrian participants to enjoy on March 22 and beyond. Dutch artists, Rob van Rijswijk and Jeroen Strijbos, have created an interactive soundscape composition that brings together the past and present of the San Fernando Valley in one unique iPhone app that will debut at the Metro Presents CicLAvia – The Valley and will be available for individuals to enjoy for years to come.
Strijbos and van Rijswijk have created a soundscape on their Walk With Me app (available for free on Apple IOS devices) by blending interviews, music, historic sound clips, natural sounds and “live noise” into an interactive walking art installation that reveals itself differently for each user. As people walk the CicLAvia route their phone’s GPS will access data points that will allow them to hear an evolving soundscape unique to their CicLAvia experience.
Check out the Walk With Me video to learn more and download in the Apple app store.
Want to ride a bike, rollerblade, or skateboard at CicLAvia, but don't own your own equipment? Not a problem! Below is a list of some bike and skate shops throughout the county that offer rentals. Our list is in no way meant to be comprehensive. So, if you notice that we're missing anything, know of a shop that rents bikes, or one you'd like to see listed, let us know.
Please remember, bikes are not required to participate in CicLAvia! You can walk, run, skate, scoot, take a pedicab or rollerblade. Anything that is people-powered is allowed. If you decide to rent, be sure to call ahead and pay for your reservation in advance, as rentals have been known to sell out on CicLAvia Sundays.
Los Angeles Bike Rentals
Find a map of bike rentals here
Throughout Los Angeles County, sorted alphabetically by neighborhood:
Beverly Hills / West Hollywood
- Beverly Hills Bike Shop | 10546 W Pico Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90064 | 310.275.2453
- Bikes and Hikes LA | 8250 Santa Monica Blvd, West Hollywood, CA 90046 | 323.796.8555
- I. Martin Bicycles | 8330 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90048 | 323.653.6900
- LA Bike Shop | 8250 Santa Monica Blvd, West Hollywood, CA 90046 | 323.515.0070
Abba Padre Bikes and Books | 4219 Sepulveda Blvd #A, Culver City, CA 90230 | 310.390.5203
- Closed on Sundays, but open for rentals on Saturdays
- The Bike Shop California | 3770 Motor Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90034 | 310.838.9644
Downtown / Central LA
- Coco’s Variety Store | 2427 Riverside Dr, Los Angeles, CA 90039 | 323.664.7400
DTLA Bikes | 425 S Broadway (at 4th), Los Angeles, CA 90013 | 213.533.8000
- Offers a fleet of more than 200 bikes that are ready to ride
- Also offers helmets
- I. Martin Bicycles | 8330 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles, CA, 90048 | 323.653.6900
Just Ride Los Angeles | 1626 S Hill St (at Venice Blvd), Los Angeles, CA 90015 | 213.745.6783
- In order to ensure availability, please reserve up to 3 days in advance
- Also offers locks and helmets
- LA Golden Bicycles | 4001 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90010 | 213.739.9911
- Competitive Edge Cyclery | 1869 W Foothill Blvd, Upland, CA 91786 | 909.985.2453
- Incycle | 501 W Arrow Hwy, San Dimas, CA 91773 | 909.592.2181
- Jax Bicycle Center | 217 W 1st St Claremont, CA, 91711 | 909.621.5827
Glendale / Atwater Village
- All Things Bicycle | 310 Fischer St, Glendale, CA 91205 | 310.733.0903 =
- Bicycle Pit Stop | 667 Alexander St, Glendale, CA 91203 | 818.839.0721
- Bicycle Land | 422 N Glendale Ave, Glendale, CA 91206 | 818.242.6906
- Coco’s Variety Store | 2427 Riverside Dr, Los Angeles, CA 90039 | 323.664.7400
- Bicycle Doctor 5003 York Blvd, Highland Park, CA 90042 | 323.259.3131
- Bike Oven | 3706 N Figueroa St, Los Angeles, CA 90065 | 323.300.8105
- Lincoln Heights Cyclery | 3422 N Broadway, Los Angeles, CA 90031 | 323.576.2208
- Raffi's Bicycles 5505 N Figueroa St, Los Angeles, CA 90042 | 323.474.6340
- Ryky’s Bike Shop | 2424 N Daly St, Los Angeles, CA 90031 | 213.703.8909
- Spoke Bicycle Cafe | 3050 N Coolidge Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90039 | 323.684.1130
- Spokes N Stuff | Griffith Park Ranger Station, 4730 Crystal Springs Ave, Griffith Park, CA 90027 | 323.662.6573
Long Beach / San Pedro
- Pedal Movement | 223 E 1st St, Long Beach, CA 90802 | 562.436.2453
- The Bike Palace | 1600 S Pacific Ave, San Pedro, CA 90731 | 310-832-1966
- Velo Pacific | 5470 E 2nd St, Long Beach, CA, 90803 | 562.433.5801
- Wheel Fun Rentals | 429 Shoreline Village Dr, Ste G, Long Beach, CA 90802 | 562.951.3857
Marina Del Ray
- Bike Attack Playa Vista | 12775 W Millennium, Playa Vista CA 90094 | 310.862.5001
- Daniel's Bike Rentals | Fisherman's Village, 13737 Fiji Way, Marina Del Ray, CA 90292 | 310.980.4045
- LA Brakeless | 12220 Venice Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90066 | 310.313.6300
- The Recyclist Bike Shop | 12446 Venice Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90066 | 310.993.5727
San Fernando Valley
- Retro Xpress Bicycles | 14508 Victory Blvd, Van Nuys, CA 91401 | 818.200.9463
Van's Cyclery | 11407 Victory Blvd, North Hollywood, CA 91606 | 818.760.6960
- Call a few days in advance to rent a bike; limited quantities available
Wheel Fun Rentals | 6300 Balboa Blvd, Van Nuys, CA 91316 | 818.212.4263
- A wide range of bikes are available including cruisers, choppers, tandems, and surreys
San Gabriel Valley
- Incycle | 175 S Fair Oaks Ave, Pasadena, CA 91105 | 626.577.0440
- Jones Bicycles II | 417 South Mission Dr, San Gabriel, CA 91776 | 626.7934227
- Pasadena Cyclery | 1670 E Walnut St, Pasadena, CA 91106 | 626.795.2866
- Stan's Bike Shop | 732 N Azusa Ave, Azusa, CA 91702 | 626.804.7400
- Velo Pasadena Inc | 2562 E Colorado Blvd, Pasadena, CA 91107 | 626.304.0064
- Bicycle Ambulance | 2212 Lincoln Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90405 | 310.395.5026
- Bike Attack & Electric | 2904 Main St, Santa Monica, CA 90405 | 424.744.8148
- Blazing Saddles | 320 Santa Monica Pier, Santa Monica, CA 90401 | 310.393.9778
- Cynergy Cycles | 2300 Santa Monica Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90404 | 310.857.1500
- Perry's Cafe | 320 Santa Monica Pier, Santa Monica, CA 90401 | 310.823.6730
- Santa Monica Beach Bicycle Rentals | 1428 4th St, Santa Monica, CA 90401 | 310.428.5337
- Santa Monica Bike Center | 1555 2nd St, Unit A, Santa Monica, CA 90401 | 310.656.8500
- Spokes N Stuff | 1700 Ocean Ave, Santa Monica, CA 90401 | 310.395.4748
- The Bike Shop Santa Monica | 2400 Main St, Santa Monica, CA 90405 | 310.581.8014
- Boardwalk Skate & Surf | 201 1/2 Ocean Front Walk, Venice, CA 90291 | 310.450.6634
- Jays Rentals Venice Beach | 1501 Ocean Front Walk, Venice, CA 90291 | 310.392.7306
- Perry's Cafe | 3100 Ocean Front Walk, Venice, CA 90292 | 310.823.6730
- Spokes N Stuff | The Inn at Venice Beach, 327 Washington Blvd, Venice, CA 90291 | 310.439.7276
- The Bicycle Whisperer | 1150 Venice Ave, Venice, CA 90291 | 310.612.1409
- Venice Bike & Skates | 21 Washington Blvd, Venice, CA 90292 | 310.301.4011
- Bike Improve | 10927 Santa Monica Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90025 | 310.400.0363
- Helen's Cycles: Westwood Village | 1071 Gayley Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90024 | 310.208.8988
- UCLA Bike Shop | 2131 John Wooden Ctr, Los Angeles, CA 90095 | 310.206.7219
- Synaptic Cycles | Los Angeles road bike rentals, delivered to your door for free | 949.484.6409
How to Participate
CicLAvia provides an opportunity to connect with Angelenos and communities throughout Los Angeles County in an entirely new way.
Participants are invited to walk, bike, skate, run, and enjoy the open streets on select Sundays! CicLAvia works hard to provide a safe and secure environment for all participants. By familiarizing yourself with the following information, you can help make CicLAvia a great event for everyone.
- CicLAvia is FREE!
- CicLAvia lasts from 9am to 4pm.
- CicLAvia closes streets to car traffic and opens them for people to walk, skate, bike, play, and explore parts of Los Angeles County.
- CicLAvia is not a race! There's no starting point or finish line—begin where you like and enjoy the day your way.
- CicLAvia traffic flows in two directions, just like regular traffic. Check out more rules of the route.
Timing Your Trip
CicLAvia lasts from 9am–4pm. Please budget your time accordingly. Make sure you return to your point of origin or final destination by 4pm to avoid car traffic when the route reopens.
Share the Road
Cars are not allowed at CicLAvia, but any other form of non-motorized transportation is. Be aware of how people around you are traveling—biking, walking, skating, etc.—and respect their right to the road.
Police, transit officers, and volunteers will be at crossing intersections to monitor the flow of participant and car traffic. Riders and pedestrians must stop at car and pedestrian intersections when told to do so.
Please monitor your speed going downhill. Also, stay within the speed of the flow of traffic when it is too congested to pass.
There are often mandatory dismount locations. There will be signs at the dismount locations and volunteers instructing riders to dismount.
Biking with Children
Our friends at REI have a comprehensive information and video page about biking with children. Please take the time to review this information if you plan to enjoy CicLAvia with children.
Helmets for Children
All children (18 and under) are required by law to wear a helmet if they are on a bike, scooter, skateboard, skates, or other types of geared or wheeled-transportation. We have a free helmet giveaway at one of our hubs at each event. Check out our activities along the route page closer to the event date to get more information!
Experienced Riders Recommended
CicLAvia is not an ideal place to teach a child, or an adult, how to ride due to the heavy flow of bike, board, and pedestrian traffic. While we encourage participants of all ages and skill levels, we strongly suggest that children and all participants learn the basics of bike riding before participating in the event route.
At CicLAvia, the Safety and Well-Being of our Participants is our Primary Concern
We work closely with local authorities to provide as safe and secure an environment as possible. We also partner with other local agencies that provide additional security elements along the route and at public transit locations.
Law Enforcement and Emergency Personnel
The Los Angeles Police Department provides a strong security presence at CicLAvia. In addition, there are emergency medical technicians stationed at each Hub, and other response personnel is available along the route.
In case of an accident, go to the nearest Hub to report it to a staff member. If you are between Hubs, look for the nearest uniformed officer, responder, or event staff member.
If you notice any suspicious activity or a suspicious package, immediately report it to the nearest staff member or uniformed officer.
Contact Staff and Volunteers
Staff can be identified by the t-shirt that says STAFF on the back. Volunteers can be identified by the t-shirt that says VOLUNTEER on the back.
Staff members and volunteers can assist you in finding the answers to questions and help find the right person to respond to emergencies. If you are missing a member of your party, have been in a minor accident, or have been part of an incident, please contact staff at the nearest Hub. This is often the fastest way to ensure police officers or emergency personnel respond to the situation rapidly and effectively.
Rain or Shine
CicLAvia will go on, rain or shine! Here are some things to keep in mind when riding or rolling in wet conditions.
Slow down. It’s easier to lose traction, especially in turns, when the road is wet. Avoid sharp turns and high speed turns so your bike won’t slide out from under you.
Skidding is more likely when the road is wet. Modulate your braking to avoid a skid.
Give yourself extra time and distance to stop.
Rim brake users, remember your rims are wet so it takes a little longer for your brake pads to catch. Pumping your brakes will help.
Be more cautious on (or avoid) surfaces that are extra slippery when wet. Such surfaces may include metal plates, manhole covers, train tracks, storm grates, and street “paint”.
Avoid riding through standing water or piles of wet leaves, which might conceal road defects.
Visibility is reduced when it’s raining. Wear bright, reflective clothing and use front and rear lights to help you see and be seen (even during the day).